Friday, June 08, 2007

Martin Johnson makes me chuckle

I love this guy's writing - he is really funny in that typical Brit way - makes me choke on my coffee and 'chortle' (another typical British word!). I have refered to his articles a couple of times here and here.

His latest take on the Vaughan 'fredalo' incident - no, I was misquoted, complete misrepresentation of facts etc etc when the damn interview audio was right on the Internet for my granny to download and listen to if she cared - is something else.

If England had collapsed yesterday, as they at one stage threatened to do,
Vaughan could simply have said: "I was totally misquoted by David Gower when I
won the toss. There was one phrase in particular which changed the whole
complexion of what I said.
"The phrase was: 'we'll bat first.' I never used
that phrase. I am not pointing the finger at any one individual. Me and Gower
are good mates, but unfortunately the media have seen fit to blow this whole
toss business out of all proportion."

Or this gem about cricketers' columns in newspapers, ghost written with content fit for ghosts:

However, what really made the hackles rise was the way some of Vaughan's
team-mates, with little or no idea of the facts, used their vacuous newspaper
columns - all of them written under the Geneva Convention directive to reveal
nothing but name, rank and serial number - to instinctively suggest that the
cricketing media had nothing better to do than make up mischievous stories.


Priceless!

No comments: