Monday, July 03, 2006

What do I know about football?

Nothing at all, absolute zilch!
After all, I predicted foolishly that Riquelme and Messi and Crespo would be the attacking force that would put German aspirations to rest. How was I to know Argentina would prefer the defensive tactics usually used by Germany and Italy? What do I know?
Was I crazy to assume Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard - absolute stars for their respective English clubs where they scored goals at will - would be able to even half-replicate that form in an England shirt? Of course I was - and I was plain stupid to ignore England's terrible penalty kicking!
However, my biggest blunder has to be the absolutely naive assumption that a bunch of 11 brilliant footballers should make a hald decent team with attacking intentions. Wrong, plain wrong! Ronaldinho/Ronaldo/Adriano/Kaka/Robinho simply cannot score when they play with each other against a half decent organized team, evidently!

So there you have it - 3 of my 4 predictions went totally awry, and my grandmom predicted Italy would win, so that is no consolation.

What do I know about football? Or was the penalty shootouts football at all?

No comments: