Friday, April 21, 2006

I have seen India's future

I saw it in Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon. The infrastructure in "New" Delhi is good, and I can see visible signs of it getting even better. Flyovers actually get done, roads actually get widened, and street lights really work. The metro is apparently on par with the best in the world, and with reach and coverage improving, more and more people will start using it. The Delhi - Greater Noida Taj Expressway (6 lanes each way) is on par with anything I have seen anywhere in the world, and the AIIMS flyover better than any other flyover I have ever seen. Gurgaon office buildings and malls could really be in Hong Kong/London/Melbourne.

A Delhi veteran was telling me that the first major improvement in Delhi occured leading up to the Asian Games in 1982. The next wave is now, again leading up to the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Sport as economic driver - fantastic, just fantastic!

No comments: