Friday, January 13, 2006

Saving sex for your old age

Warren Buffet is a phenomenal success story - and when he says something, it pays to listen, and try and heed! Here's what he had to say regarding career choices:

If you want to make a lot of money go to Wall Street. More importantly though, do what you would do for free, having passion for what you do is the most important thing. I love what I do; I'm not even that busy. I got a total of five phone calls all day yesterday and one of them was a wrong number.

A few months ago I was talking to another MBA student, a very talented man, about 30 years old from a great school with a great resume. I asked him what he wanted to do for his career, and he
replied that he wanted to go into a particular field, but thought he should work for McKinsey for a few years first to add to his resume. To me that's like saving sex for your old age. It makes no sense.

Cracking quote that! Sure, there is value in the MBA dude going to Mckinsey to gain experience, contacts and weight to resume, but I guess the trick is to figure where to draw the line. I went through this dilemma for around 5 years doing other stuff (albeit for different reasons). I did not have the courage/conviction to move to "what I would do for free". Was the 5 years well spent? Kinda, but now I sometimes wish I had done this earlier. I am certain the MBA grad who wants to go to Mckinsey will also have exactly the same thoughts some years down the line.

Saving sex for your old age - what a line. Its puts things into perspective so beautifully - They should teach such stuff in B-School! Read the whole interview here. Link thanks to Anand, who runs a wonderful blog here.

Categories: Personal, entrepreneurship, inspirational

No comments: