Thursday, January 26, 2006

A peek into the Sehwag mind

Cricinfo is generally very good and their WAC magazine was even better. Mercifully they have resurrected it in a new avatar - Cricinfo Magazine. This article from that magazine examines what went through Sehwag's mind when he played a classic innings of 155 in Chennai when Aus was visiting India in 2004. This article gives you a wonderful idea of what batsmen are thinking, why Sehwag is different, and what you are missing with bad commentary on telly!

I think this is a brilliant idea - to get the cricketer to talk through the innings/bowling spell with the video running - this gives me more insights than the million other star-written articles that tell me the bleeding obvious.

I hope Cricinfo does more of this - like getting Sachin to talk through HIS 155 in Chennai against Pakistan (sad end to the knock,but fascinating nevertheless), Dravid on his 233 in Adelaide of the 140 odd in Headingley, and Srinath on his match-winning spell in Ahmedabad, or Ganguly on his 140 odd in Brisbane. Good fun can be had!

Category: Cricket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, nice concept. The Wisden Cricketer has been doing a similar column where they get a group of cricketers to talk through a historically significant series.

My only gripe is when print content such as this, which I pay for, is published free on the internet :-(

And I hate to nitpick, but Sachin made 136 not 155.

Ashok Karanth said...

I have not yet subscribed to this - how good is the magazine? And oops on the Sachin score - though I now wish he had scored 155:-)would have saved us the despair of seeing the lower order crumble.